Joppa Lodge No.112 is located in the City of White Rock on the West Coast of Canada.
It's a short distance north of the boundary line between Canada and the United States.|
The dispensation for this Lodge was issued by the GM on April 15th 1925, and it was instituted
on April 30th 1925, by the DDGM for District No 2. He made a flattering report of its condition
and recommended that a charter should be granted.
Grand Lodge granted the charter on June 17th 1926,and the Lodge was constituted by the GM on June 23,1926.
The Lodge adopted the American work for its ritual, and took its name from the chief port of Jerusalem
on the Mediterranean Sea. It was from there that Jonah set forth to Tarshish and that Saint Peter restored Tabitha to life.
Research, in many cases, is aided by data collected by others and retained in printed or written form.
This information may be someone’s personal writings or observations of certain happenings.|
The following are, in their own right, priceless.
The first two are copies of letters and the other is the observations of another Brother.
From White Rock, B.C. March 6th, 1924
To: Very W. Bro. W. A. DeWolf-Smith,
New Westminster, B.C.
Dear Sir & Brother:
Regarding our conversation with you at Union Lodge on the 5th,inst. A canvas of this district develops
a prospective charter membership of twenty five and possibly thirty.
The population of White Rock, B.C. is estimated at twelve hundred, and the combined population of White Rock
and surrounding district is between twenty, and twenty five hundred.
There is apparently plenty of excellent material for a masonic lodge to work on.
During the past year there have been five men from White Rock made masons in New Westminster lodges,
and two members from White Rock have become members of New Westminster lodges by affiliation.
There is no suitable lodge room available at the present time, but we are in touch with a party here,
who is willing and ready to erect a building and provide suitable hall space for lodge purposes,
on assurance from us that we will be prepared to take a short lease on same.
We would be extremely thankful to you for any advice you could give us in this matter,
and further information along these lines that you might require, we will gladly furnish.
Thanking you for your kind interest, we beg to remain,
From White Rock, B.C. April 27, 1925
Dear Sir and Brother:
I am commanded by the Right Worshipful Brother J. F. Semple DDGM, District No. 2
to request your presence on Thursday evening April 30th, A.D. 1925,
for the purpose of Instituting a lodge of Ancient Free & Accepted Masons at White Rock B.C.
The meeting will take place at the hour of 8 P.M. in the Semiahmoo Hall.
G. S. Graves
RECOLLECTIONS OF JOPPA LODGE HISTORY|
by Fabian Hugh
It seems but yesterday, yet it is now well over thirty-five years since a few of us called
together by the late Alex J. Smith, sat around and discussed ways and means of starting a
Masonic Lodge for White Rock.
There was sufficiency of numbers, but they were like Joseph’s coat, lacked uniformity,
not of purpose, but experienced in uniform ritual.
Some came from Eastern Canada with Canadian work, some from across the seas with a
mixture of English and other forms. Predominately our group was from British Columbia
and south of the ‘border’, having principally what is generally known as ‘American’ work.
It was the consensus of opinion that the majority were versed in the ‘American’ ritual, the
minority would fall into line and try and forget their early training. To this end the late
R. W. J. J. Mahony of King Solomon Lodge #17 of New Westminster was asked to be the first Master
and weld us into a working unit.
Once discipline was established, which meant ‘Joe’ Mahony was boss and insisted if he came 15 miles
to teach us, we had to be on time, or else; and the ‘or else’ meant our proposed first Master would refuse to
co-operate. W. Brother Mahony was a good teacher and a strict disciplinarian. Eventually we became a good,
well ordered working unit,of which even he was proud to take out and display our prowess.
One of the first decisions to be made was, what should we call our Lodge ? Names without end were brought forward
but none were acceptable until Brother O. R. Merklin suggested that as we in our location resembled the coast of Joppa
of olden days, why not designate our Lodge ‘Joppa". And so it was, and we are proud of our name
and for the fine and firm foundation on which our membership superstructure stands.
As many of you will recall our first meeting place was on Washington Avenue where we found it necessary,
for a time, to climb a step-ladder to attend our meetings. While this building suited our early purposes it was none too strong for large gatherings and it was
decided to make a change at the first opportunity, for a building more suitable.
In 1950 our existing Temple was purchased from the proceeds of the sale of the old Hall and the floating of a debenture issue among the members, we were able to finance our present home. To the courage, work and foresight of those who effected this change go our everlasting gratitude.
Some of our furniture presently being used was of our own purchase. On the other hand we cannot forget those who came to our aid when we really needed it.
The Volume of the Sacred Law was a gift from the late W.Bro. J. D. MacMillan. The columns came from the veranda of a building being dismantled in Blaine, Washington. They were brought across the line, taken to the now abandoned Campbell River Mill of White Rock, where they were put in a large lathe, cleaned of all the old paint and dirt, polished and built as they are now. This was the idea of the late R.W.Bro. Moffatt and the gift of Bro. Hunter who at the time, if I recollect correctly, was Mayor of Blaine and a member of that city’s Masonic Lodge.
The candle sticks and first Senior Warden’s and Junior Warden’s pedestals were made by the late Clare Lemax, on his lathe, in the basement of the Surrey Municipal Hall at Cloverdale and presented to the Lodge. Bro. Clare Lemax was at the time, Clerk of the Municipality and a member of Joppa Lodge.
It is most unfortunate the original pedestals were not preserved, rather than being destroyed. They should have been retained, if only for their sentimental value and used on special occasions.
One of the most unique gifts we received came from a Scots blacksmith, not a Mason but certainly a very clever craftsman. I refer to the knockers on the Lodge doors.
These were hammered out by Mr. W. Y. C. Tarves, a resident of White Rock. It would be nice if we just dropped him a line telling him how much we still appreciate his work of art and its constant use by us.
The cushions and markers in the Volume of the Sacred Law were made by the wives of some of the Lodge members.
This is a little of the history of the early times of our Craft Lodge. Of the work and the things done by the individual members no mention can be made. So many did so much giving to us the resultant happiness we now enjoy and which we hope our children’s children will enjoy, that profit and pleasure shall be the result, of those things accomplished by those who have gone before and those presently with us ...
These documents provide an insight into the beginnings of Joppa Lodge of White Rock, B.C.
Thus the preliminary work of these founding Pathfinders paved the way for the years of endeavor that lay ahead.
The results are a fine example of what perseverance, willingness to work, unflagging effort and in some cases plain old stubborness, can produce. The members of Joppa Lodge can today look back with high regard for the efforts of these brethren, without which, who knows what would be here for us today ?
History Page Two.
Return To Home Page